Monday, 4 February 2008

Esko Mannikko

Esko Mannikko is up for his retrospective exhibition, Cocktails. It shows people from Finland in their country homes ( as shown in his fabulous book, The Female Pike) , the empty houses of rural Finland, a region depopulated because of universal economic and demographic pressures along with details of the animals that live in the places where Mannikko shoots.

“I photograph because I can’t do anything else,” says Mannikko. “And I don’t have a clear mission in my mind of what I want to show. I started with people living around me and photographed these people because they are like me. They live in the country and hunt. That’s what I do, so my work is a landscape of my own soul - but what my soul is I couldn’t say.”

Mannikko will be giving a talk at The Photographers' Gallery on Friday, which has to be good. John Davies, Fazal Sheikh and Jacob Holdt will give talks in the following weeks.

1 comment:

Peter Towers said...

I saw this exhibition many years ago in Malmoe, Sweden, and it always remained in the back of my mind. I'm moved somehow by the realism in the images.

Featured post

Thanks for the Memories, Gazebook Sicily!

Gazebook was fantastic! If you don't know it, it's a festival that takes place in the small town of Punta Secca on the south ...