Thursday, 5 June 2008

What went wrong with Fred West






































































What went wrong with Fred West? That was the line used to accompany this picture and advertise a documentary on the man.

The assumption is he looks like a lovely, innocent child, but I'm not so sure. He has that West Country look about him (I know so many people who look like this!), but with a scary stare - before the spliffs and cider take hold.

But then Tracey Emin has a depth to her in the second portrait of a childhood - so perhaps it's just a projection on my part or something to do with the formal portrait era in which the pictures were made and the children grew up.

A young Liam Gallagher completes the set, shown here with with his dad, Thomas. Not sure how he got in, though?

8 comments:

Mark Page said...

Spent ten years in Gloucestershire,
Bloody Scarey! Don't mention "Dancing Bears" and all that shit.............

colin pantall said...

Gloucestershire scarey, and you're from Manchester. And Dancing Bears? What are they?

brenda said...

Isn't that Martin and Kingsley Amis?

Oh you're joking with us. ;)

Mark Page said...

Colin, it's The Wicker Man V New Jack City kinda thing. Dancing Bears, is a way of insulting people from The Forest of Dean, Fred's natural habitat. It was a story about how a man with a dancing bear was wrongly accused of the killing of a child, and used as a scapegoat. Implying that people from the Forest are a little bit fick. And now I can see myself in said "Wicker man"

colin pantall said...

Hi Brenda:

I think I'm joking with myself as well, so please, don't destroy the magic - it's Liam and his dad! Child of the nineties v child of the eighties, eyebrows, jaw, living on past glories, a certain lack of social graces, Marty and Liam could be twins, except Liam wins it on the sophistication of his prose.

Hi Mark - there's always something weird happening in the Forest of Dean. Have you seen the Angel of the South - by the M5/Somerset Levels. It's very Wicker Man and it's got a vacancy with your name on it.

Mark Page said...

HOLIDAY MANC BURNT IN WICKER MAN SHOCK!

brenda said...

Of course, now I see you are quite right. Especially about the prose.

colin pantall said...

Brenda - There was a scary picture in the Guardian last week of Amis father and son which I wanted to use, but I threw it away in a fit of disgust by mistake. I found this one instead.

Shame about Mark, must have been quite a sight, hope he sang the 23rd psalm, it's always a comfort.

The Dancing Bears remind me of the Harlepool monkey that got hanged by the locals on suspicion of being a French spy. I'm trying to think of some London equivalents to mention but there are so many, I just can't choose...

Featured post

"I still don't understand why it didn't just end here"

I saw a Twitter post with the picture of Trump mocking a reporter with cerebral palsy. "I still don't understand why it didn'...