Thursday, 26 February 2009

Yaniv Waissa



























































































Yaniv Waissa works with plastic cameras, polaroids, polaroid transfer and conventional film to record memory, destruction and trauma, all with a pre-apocalyptic overlay. He deals with some familiar subject matter but in landscapes charged with meaning and architectural violence- so his work gets under the skin. I especially like his polaroid transfers, a wonderful and mysterious transformational medium. In Waissa's own words:

"I deal with a collective- cultural memory, which I embrace for my own personal needs. I go on a physical journey with my camera; a visual journey of the eyes, imagination and recollection, An emotional journey back in time, to the districts of the memory, districts that contain no comfort. I deal with the present through the past. I capture views, places and objects filled with echoes from the past. A past that is also a present and that lives and revives the memories, the collective traumas and my personal emotions.
I deal with the holocaust, through the camera; I seek to understand, to immortalize something hidden in the sights. I try to ignore the world of images widely connected to the holocaust. I intend to create a new system of associations that will activate personal charges: mine and the viewers'."

No comments:

Featured post

Thanks for the Memories, Gazebook Sicily!

Gazebook was fantastic! If you don't know it, it's a festival that takes place in the small town of Punta Secca on the south ...