Featured post

Buy All Quiet on the Home Front here.

Buy All Quiet on the Home Front from ICVL STUDIO. It is also available now at the wonderful  Tipi Bookshop in Belgium. And soon at ...

Tuesday, 9 June 2009

RJ Shaughnessy Can't Spell for Shit































































































RJ Shaugnessy has been sending his book, Your Golden Opportunity is Comeing Very Soon, to bloggers around the globe and I was included in this one. RJ is a bit of a joker, I'm guessing he can't spell for shit (I know, it was deliberate), but he does take a mean picture of a chaotic house share (aka his first book DeathCamp), and double mean pictures of dinged railings (aka Your Golden...).

It's a little Japanese but very LA, with a whole lot of Ruscha, maybe some Sunset Boulevard and, oh yes, maybe some Walter Mosley thrown in for good measure (that falls into the what else can I think of that has to do with Los Angeles category).

RJ was kind enough to answer a few questions - his reply for how he got into photography is a step up from the usual "I got dropped on my head when I was a baby" the rest of us give as our excuse.

1. In 1998 I was an 18 years old just messing around with photography, not taking it too seriously. One night changed everything. I was taking photos of lightning and ended up getting struck. After being hit by lightning I knew that I wanted to devote my life to photography.

2. I didn't have the idea for making a book of Deathcamp until I moved out of the house

3. Living at Deathcamp was the most fun I have ever had in my entire life. At one point there were 9 people living there. Having that many people in a house would drive anyone crazy, except us. We loved each other intensely.

4. Why did I choose to make "Your Golden Opportunity is Comeing Very Soon" ? The answer to this question might frustrate or annoy some. There is no why. I'm not interested in asking the "why" question to myself, I just had to make it.

5. The title & spelling have a similar answer. They are perfect. Why? Because they are. Why? They just are.

6. Where did the idea/ influence come from? Me

7. What does it all mean? Good question.

8. I'm currently preparing for the release of my third book in September/October 2009. The title is "These Photographs Will Heal Your Soul." They are a collection of the most beautiful photographs ever taken. You will love them.

9. My favorite photo books are Corrine Day's Diary & Larry Clark's Teenage Lust.

10. My favorite film is Burden of Dreams.

2 comments:

Mark Page said...

Yeah I got one as well, I was well excited, love free stuff. Loved it, Japanese feel and all.

colin pantall said...

Cheers Mark - that about sums it up. Send us free books and we're happy.