Monday, 28 September 2009

I'll show you mine if you show me yours


I keep on seeing this picture in magazines. It's an advertisement for Volvo and it's one of the very few advertising photographs that I recognise and remember.

It's strikingly strange - it has a Ryan McGinley theme, but is much more memorable with real people and a massive dash of oddness. I'm not sure if it would make me buy a car, especially not if the guy on the left (who I am guessing is about 52) is driving it.

Anyway, is there something odd about this picture or is it just me? What exactly is going on here, what is everyone looking at, and what is wrong with the second guy from the left? And why did Volvo choose this picture to advertise their car?

And who took the picture?

6 comments:

Darrell Eager said...

The big question is why is the man in the center making that strange face?

Mark Page said...

This picture was chosen because it's a well known fact that people from Volvo land are very sexy and often naked. The man at the back however is wishing he had gone with his heart and bought a Saab instead......

colin pantall said...

Mark's got an answer for you, Darrell. A very good one too, though I was thinking of something more infantile.

Lea said...

If you knew Estonian, you would see that Mark's answer is actually infantile.
Viva translations!

colin pantall said...

Thanks Lea and I hope life is good and good for you in Estonia. Well done Mark - you had an infantile Estonian subtext.

Mark Page said...

Viva means arse in Manchester.

Featured post

Thanks for the Memories, Gazebook Sicily!

Gazebook was fantastic! If you don't know it, it's a festival that takes place in the small town of Punta Secca on the south ...