Tuesday, 16 November 2010

Recommended Postings from Pete Brook's Prison Photography

 Thanks to Pete Brook of Prison Photography for including me in his favourite photobloggers list over at
Wired Rawfile. Possibly this is because he's from Chorley which is where my grandmother was born - see the above video for some cultural insight.

Check out the Rawfile site for all Pete's recommended blogs, blogs which have introduced me to a huge range of new photography that I would otherwise be unacquainted with, blogs which extend photography and visual culture (which I am preoccupied with) into areas beyond my knowledge. The internet can be tedious and repetitive at times, and so can blogs (including this one), but when they get it right, they are wonderful, mind-broadening things, a resource that is truly a wonder to behold.

Pete Brook's Prison Photography belongs on the list. The best blogs are those which escape the photography vacuum, that bring outside elements into play and broaden our understanding of the world visually, emotionally and politically. That's what Pete does, and when I can't think of anything to look at I head over there for a little bit of prison or community-based inspiration.

Some great posts that I recommend are Navajo Graffiti, Stateville Prison: Art Object and Fabienne Cherisma's Corpse Features at Perpignan (parts 1-15).

Enough of Pete, what about me. This is what it says at Wired.

The Pundit

Blog: Colin Pantall's Blog

Blogger: Colin Pantall
Location: Bath, England
Day job: Writer, photographer, teacher
Blogging since: December 2007

Preoccupied with visual culture at large, Pantall draws frequent parallels to literature, television and film. The result is an eclectic exploration of what "does and doesn’t make photography work."
"The best photography blogs arise out of a passion for something outside photography," says Pantall by e-mail:
These blogs contextualize photography and make sense of the great chaos in which images exist. They also have a depth, feeling and knowledge that helps make sense of the creative (and non-creative) surges that are currently taking place in photography. I value most the times when I find a groove in which passion and cynicism combine to cut to the chase of what photography is really about. It becomes unique when neither I, nor the readers, are sure if my rhetoric is entirely serious.
Wired.com recommends: Propagandists and Who Took the Myra Hindley Photograph?

No comments:

Featured post

Thanks for the Memories, Gazebook Sicily!

Gazebook was fantastic! If you don't know it, it's a festival that takes place in the small town of Punta Secca on the south ...