Tuesday, 5 April 2011

Deborah Parkin: September is the Cruellest Month






More on handmade books  with Deborah Parkin, whose wonderful black book of tipped in prints and hand-written text is sitting next to me now. It's called September is the Cruellest Month and it's a wonderful exploration of childhood with the words tying in with the pictures beautifully. It's fascinating to see other people's pictures of childhoods, the influences and ideas, the crossover with one's own, the verge towards the lyrical and the tender, the way words bring out elements that go beyond the visual and reach out into a wider world. September is the Cruellest Month is a great title, one that refers to the end of the school holidays, the sense of dread that the coming school year represents, the end of the imagination, wildness and immersion in beauty and nature that comes with renewed immersion in schooling and work.

Deborah also has a blog where she talks about her work, her experiments with printing and her studio - read the Deborah Parkin Blog here.


I am intrigued by people, particularly children, their thoughts and behaviour.
I am fascinated b
I am intrigued by people, particularly children, their thoughts and behaviour.
I am fascinated by memory.
I am obsessed with the photographic image.
This is what my work is about.
y memory.
I am obsessed with the photographic image.
This is what my work is about.

No comments:

Featured post

"I still don't understand why it didn't just end here"

I saw a Twitter post with the picture of Trump mocking a reporter with cerebral palsy. "I still don't understand why it didn'...