Monday, 6 June 2011

Random Conversations #8 - The Man

I: Is Jack Black the Man?


Me: Definitely not?

I: Does he work for the man?

Me: Sometimes, yes.

I: Is David Cameron the Man?

Me: He wants to be the Man and sometimes he thinks he's the Man, but he's not. But he does work for the Man. He is a slave to the Man. The thing is the Man doesn't really exist, but just thinking of him kind of makes him exist. Some people think they're the Man...

I: Like Simon Cowell.

Me: Exactly like Simon Cowell.

I: But he's not the Man, is he?

Me: Not even close..

I: He's not important enough to be the Man. Does Wayne Rooney work for the Man?

Me: Yes, but he doesn't know it.

I: How about you? Do you work for the Man?

Me: Depends on the job. When I'm teaching I kind of half work for the Man. All teachers have to work for the Man a bit, especially when filling in forms

I: How about when you're taking pictures? Do photographers work for the Man?

Me: Depends on how much money they make? The more money they make, the more they work for the Man. The less they make, the less they work for the Man - but the more they want to work for the Man. Most of the time anyway. On the sly.

I: So you don't work for the Man?

Me: No.

I: Good for you, dad. I'm not going to work for the Man when I grow up.

Me: No, no, no!

(conversation continues for another 20 minutes)

2 comments:

Deborah Parkin Photography said...

What a great conversation .. you don't need to go to university when you have kids .. they question you, make you think, knock out your pretentiousness. This reminds me of a conversation I had with my 9 year old son the other day .. he was asking me what tax was & then what was public and private. I found myself having to correct a few things as if the 80s had never happened .. like are trains public? Gas, Electricity? Then he asked if we pay for war .. he looked incredulous when I said, 'yes, a lot'.
I am loving these random conversations.

colin pantall said...

Thanks Deborah. I've had the war conversation - and the tax one. It peels back the layers of my ignorance which is what the whole series is about really.

Featured post

"I still don't understand why it didn't just end here"

I saw a Twitter post with the picture of Trump mocking a reporter with cerebral palsy. "I still don't understand why it didn'...