Tuesday, 13 March 2012

Kony and the Scramble for Africa







I like a map and the map of the  Scramble for Africa  by European colonial powersafter the 1884 Berlin Conference is one of my favourites; it cuts through the rhetoric in its money grabbing venality.

Below is a map of the current buying of land in Africa by various countries, China at the forefront.

So I watched the Kony film with the two maps in mind -  and I wondered how a film that essentially calls for US military training, advice and involvement (that's a gross simplification, but we're in simplification territory here) in Uganda could be anything other than part of that same struggle for power and influence.

And that's about it - that's all I could really think of to say on the subject. It's a gross over-simplification I know, but I couldn't get beyond it. I really couldn't.

More on US land grabs here and this is the Oakland Institute's report on The Great Land Grab: Rush for World’s Farmland Threatens Food Security for the Poor.

Larry Burrows photographed some US advisors working in South Vietnam in 1962, providing training, advice and involvement.


1 comment:

Stan B. said...

A complex problem, no easy solution- I'd like to give the Invisible Children movement the benefit of the doubt. At the very least, they've put the Kony name on the map, and not in a good way- if someone else has the better plan to apprehend him (and avoid the usual negative consequences you're so right in bringing up), please, the time to publicize and act is now...

Featured post

"I still don't understand why it didn't just end here"

I saw a Twitter post with the picture of Trump mocking a reporter with cerebral palsy. "I still don't understand why it didn'...