Wednesday, 12 June 2013

From Clare Strand to Eric Clapton in 3 Easy Steps


So I was writing about Clare Strand's Skirts series for the BJP (which I really like, especially after talking to her and seeing how they tie in to her other work and her particular way of working - which is organic and mysterious!)  and somehow I started imagining that the skirts look like cupcakes and chocolates.

That got me thinking about chocolates and then I started singing Savoy Truffle by the Beatles - so I googled that and suddenly I'm into Good News chocolates, which my nan ( that's her above, second from the left, on a temperance March in Chorley ) n used to buy me when I was a kid because they weren't as pricey as Milk Tray and they came in smaller boxes. They were a kind of starter chocolates.

And they are also what Eric Clapton used to eat - that's what the song is about. That's why they have the bit about having teeth pulled out, something that resonates both with me and my nan, who had them all pulled out when she was 20, as you did.

So there you have it. From Clare Strand to Eric Clapton in 3, 4 easy steps with a bit of dental history along the way. 






Crème tangerine and Montelimar
A ginger sling with a pineapple heart
A coffee dessert, yes, you know it's good news
But you have to have them all pulled out
After the Savoy truffle

Cool cherry cream, nice apple tart
I feel your taste all the time we're apart
Coconut fudge really blows down those blues
But you'll have to have them all pulled out
After the Savoy truffle

You might not feel it now
When the pain cuts through
You're going to know and how
The sweat is going to fill your head

When it becomes too much
You'll shout aloud

You'll have to have them all pulled out
After the Savoy truffle

You know that what you eat you are
But what is sweet now turns so sour
We all know Ob-la-di-bla-da
But can you show me where you are?

Crème tangerine and Montelimar
A ginger sling with a pineapple heart
A coffee dessert, yes, you know it's good news
But you'll have to have them all pulled out
After the Savoy truffle
Yes, you'll have to have them all pulled out
After the Savoy truffle

1 comment:

Margaret Waage said...

How cool is that? Google should have a tagline 'It will take you places!' Start out doing one thing and finds yourself traveling to places from there! Beautiful blog and posts!

Featured post

Thanks for the Memories, Gazebook Sicily!

Gazebook was fantastic! If you don't know it, it's a festival that takes place in the small town of Punta Secca on the south ...