Wednesday, 19 March 2014

Cure Me, I'm a Photographer




So in my last post I looked at how colour brain analysis was used to modify sexuality. And as I am always looking to quicken the current on my income streams, and because photographers are a troubled bunch, I thought I would adapt this therapy to photography.

Above you can see a diagram of the photographer's brain. It is quite a technical drawing and shows the brain casing, the cerebellum as well as the 10 discrete elements of the Photographer's Brain such as the seats of denial, sloth and self-indulgence.


In the interests of research, I have undergone self-analysis. Here is my completed brain.




And here is my analysis.

1. Conformism - I have coloured this a deep blue, the colour of calm conservatism. This means I am easily swayed. If I see someone else do a picture, I am highly likely to copy it. Similarly, if everybody else likes a photographer, I'm not going to stick out like a sore thumb. Good job!

2. Pretension - Mmm, the progression from yellow into red shows ambivalence. Though I am aware that I should operate within a particular lexical framework in which understanding is confined to a small circle of people I do not do embrace this as fully as I should. Partly this is out of a fear of failure, partly it indicates a deep-seated hostility to these worlds and all those who inhabit them. I need to read more and utilise abstract concepts that add a layer of mystery and confusion to my writing. An area to work on.

3. Voyeurism - oh dear, this is red. I have a leaning to questionable voyeuristic works with sexual elements and I like looking. Think Scot Sothern or Kohei Yoshiyuki or Merry Alpern. With more work on
pretension, I can transfer these unacceptable tendencies to more palatable related areas such as surveillance and GSV for example. This will also help me to enjoy looking less and give me a taste for quieter, drabber photography. A lot more work required.

4. Ethics - this has been coloured in grey, the colour of indifference. I obviously don't feel that ethics should be a central part of photography, and that if you want to do good in the world, photography is not the obvious place to go. The red from voyeurism needs to be moved here.

5. Self-indulgence - the orange used here shows how comfortable I feel in this area. This is perhaps the most evenly coloured area of the brain. Everything is satisfactory here.

6. Denial - the solid green indicates I feel at ease in this area so I have no problems here.

7. Sloth - oh dear again. I seem to have missed this one out so it's difficult to analyse.

8. Messiah Complex - the sunburst stripes describe energy, exuberance and a dawning passion. Together with the strong self-indulgence, this is an area of strength that is open to further development.

9. Decoration - I have coloured this in purple. This shows a  sense of mystery and an over-emphasis for colour and elaboration in photography. In images, this may take the form of being more open to pictures that are dynamic, challenging and easy on the eye. With more work on this, I will become more open to quieter pictures mentioned in the voyeurism section above.

10. Generic Bias - the multi-coloured spots in this section shows generic overlay. I am scattergun in my interests. I seem to like everything; street, portraiture, conceptual and vernacular all get a look in. This is far too open and needs to be closed down.

Homework: What do I think of Grey?

2 comments:

Stan B. said...

Thank you. People always love to inject their own personal feelings and prejudices into this- until someone finally settles it with the proper scientific analysis...

colin pantall said...

Science is what it all comes down to and you don't get much more scientific than me.

Except for this. Proper science went into the making of this...

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2014-03-19/tories-bingo-beer-tax-cuts-help-hardworking-people/